0197 880 6994

What is PART P and why? Here are all the answers .....

Q1: When did Part P come into effect?

Part P came into effect in England and Wales on 1 January 2005.

Q2: What are the requirements of Part P?

As of 1 January 2005 it is a legal requirement for all work on fixed electrical installations in dwellings and associated buildings to comply with relevant standards. The relevant UK standard is BS 7671:2008, 'Requirements for electrical installations' (The IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition). BS 7671 covers requirements for design, installation, inspection, testing, verification and certification.

Q3: To what types of electrical work does Part P apply?

  • In or attached to a dwelling
  • In the common parts of buildings serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts
  • In a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling, and
  • In a garden or in or on land associate with a building where the electricity supply is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling

The term dwelling includes houses, maisonettes and flats. It also applies to electrical installations in business premises that share an electricity supply with dwellings, such as shops and public houses with a flat above.

The common parts of buildings includes access areas in blocks of flats such as hallways and shared amenities in blocks of flats such as laundries and gymnasiums.

Part P applies to electrical installations located in outbuildings such as detached garages, sheds and greenhouses.

Part P applies to parts of electrical installations located on land around dwellings such as garden lighting.

Part P applies to electrical installations that operate at voltages not exceeding 1000 V a.c.

Notifiable work includes new installations, house re-wires, and the installation of new circuits. Notifiable work also includes additions to existing circuits in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoors and in other special locations. (See question 5 note 5.)

Q4: Will all electrical work need Building Regulations approval?

No. In general, notification will need to be given to, or full plans deposited with, a building control body only if the work is major involving one or more complete new circuits, and is not being carried out by an electrical contractor registered with an authorised competent person self-certification scheme.

Q5: What types of electrical work are 'non-notifiable'?

The following types of work are non-notifiable:

  • Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
  • Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (1)
  • Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (2)
  • Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (3)
  • Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (4)
  • Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (5) and consists of:
    • adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (6)
    • adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (6)

If you need an electrician in Hertfordshire or North London, contact us.

Call 0203 659 0333 Request a callback